Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Great Escape


Christopher comes home from work one day this week in the morning. I'm getting ready for work, bustling about. He pops into the bathroom and says, "Do you know that Gabby is out?" I stare speechless, then mumble a "No..." I come out to see Gabby running on top of the tall Martin's Cage he and Drinky live in as young, eligible bachelors that they are. Chris scoops him up and we both puzzle over how he got out. No doors are open, no top left unsecured. I hurry off to work leaving a very concerned Chris.

Later, I get a voice mail on my cell. "I figured out how Gabby got out...in fact, he even showed me now...twice!" He went on to explain that Gabby was squeezing himself through the lab block self-feeder attached to the side of the cage. It's hard to believe, but somehow he managed it. As Chris pointed out, heaven knows how long he's been taking these field trips?! Thankfully, he hadn't bothered the mice in the cages on top of the rat cage...

We put a stop to it by blocking the exit to the feeder, but I had to chuckle at his sneekiness despite it all.

3 comments:

StacyG said...

LOL! Ratties can be sneaky :) My Sophie and Cashew are always finding little sneaky things to do, too!

christopher said...

Cuter still it was Gabby, the chubbier of the two rats, who was figured out he could get out of the bin. Although I not sure if he could get back in through it....

Anonymous said...

Hilarious story..."he even showed me twice!"

I've experienced this with female rats. I had a cage for my male rats and the gap between bars was too small for them to exit the cage. The female rats, however, could slip through quite comfortably (as they were also proud to show). I woke up to feet on my face.