Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Boober, R.I.P.

This is how I'll always remember Boober. He came into our lives on a whim, just because I made a phone call to a local pet store to see if they had a boy. A rescue had come in, they said. We went to see him, and it was love at first sight. He was shy, but friendly. A big boy, with an incredibly thick, beautiful coat of hair, and big dark eyes that connected to a kind, old soul. But he was just a rat, you say. That he was - a big buck of indeterminate age and background - but to know him was to love him. The last weeks were spent mostly in Christopher's arms, getting hand-fed and lovingly stroked. During his last night, I held him as best as I could into the wee hours of the morning; Boober lurched periodically in obvious pain, sometimes crawling out of my arm as if trying to escape it. I finally put him to bed, wishing I could hold him to the end, but knowing he needed to be safe from falling. His last act - out of pain and maybe a little out of need - was jumping up onto the door and hanging on, looking at me, before jumping down. I found him this morning laying by that door, waiting...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Boober. He was a lucky boy to have found you.

I have had the experience of holding a rat as he died, and thought the spasms and restlessness were signs of pain. When my aunt passed away this summer, I learned from the hospice people that similar behavior in humans was typical and didn't necessarily mean pain. I hope the same is true of the rats.

christopher said...

I could see in the the last days spent with Boober that he was suffering and had considered helping him on his way. Boober was desperate to be held and loved and would struggle to return to me everytime I put him back in his cage. I had been busy most of this past week with family maters so I made the best of what time I could spend with Boober. The evening before he died he was waiting for me at his door, popping and happy to see me. I wrapped him up in his towel and cuddled with him as long as I could before having to leave again.

The Fluffy Tribe said...

Oh we are so sorry about Boober. He looked so sweet and happy with you. It is so heartbreaking to lose the little ones and nothing really helps the sense of lost felt by those who loved them. All we can say is we understand. Bye Boober. Say hi to all those over the Rainbow Bridge for us.

~Poiland Tribe and 'beans

Sham said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Boober. Bless the poor little guy xxxx. We've lost 3 in the last month so I'm really thinking of you loads xxxxxx

Gerbil Knitting said...

So sorry to hear about Boober. He had a good life with you. He wating foryou now at the Rainbow Bridge.

Anonymous said...

I completely understand your loss. I just lost my special angel mouse, Petunia, on Thursday night. I knew she was not going to last much longer and made sure to cuddle her everyday, except I didn't cuddle her on Thursday. I thought I would leave her alone for a bit, she was holed up in her hide and I didn't want to disturb her. I feel just awful that the one time I didn't cuddle her over the past two weeks was the day she died.... Though I'm sure she knew that I loved her, just like I'm sure Boober knew you loved him.

RenaSherwood said...

My condolences. May you find comfort.

Goodbye, Boober