Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Coffee Shop Surprise

*THUMP*

I turned and looked towards the large window at the coffee shop just in time to see one blur going down towards the sidewalk while another smaller, faster blur shot upwards. I went outside to find a very bewildered pigeon hiding behind a flower plot, her feathers a mess. I looked up towards the nearby tree to see a very eager and slightly annoyed peregrine falcon that was about 2/3 the size of the pigeon.

I figured the poor pigeon was doomed. Even though my heart felt for her, there was really nothing I could do the help the poor thing out. I talked softly to her as I coaxed her out of her hiding spot for fear that another coffee shop patron would antagonize her or the falcon into a frenzy, especially if there were any children nearby. I scooted the pigeon along to get her to fly off, hoping to give her a running chance while the falcon was distracted...

No comments: